Re: Route Flaps at NAP's

  • From: Scott Huddle
  • Date: Wed Sep 17 13:22:42 1997

Ramesh,

Merit has done studies on this in the past.  Their data is on
at
	http://www.merit.edu/ipma/reports/

That said, why are route flaps important?  In the past, its
been said that certain length prefixes were the cause of lots of
routing instability on the Internet, and much effort was
spent on developing elaborate dampening algorithms and policy
efforts were spent on determining how to set the parameters
on such a system.

As it turns out, these aren't important ... prefixes flap pretty
much independent of length.  And while dampening will help prevent
lots of up/down cyclic behavior and resulting churn, the whole issue,
I think, got a lot more intellectual curiosity that it deserved,
not to dissuade you ;)

Other than it being something that one can count, I'm not sure why
route flaps, in general, are interesting.

-scott