Re: I found the missing 30 milliseconds!

  • From: Taner Halicioglu
  • Date: Tue Sep 16 20:59:16 1997

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> > Did I do the arithmetic right?
>
> I think you did the math right...
>
> but isn't that what "cut-through" switching is all about?  Sending the
> packet out before you're done getting it in?

Well, how about thinking of it this way:  Don't you just need to look at
the header of a packet before deciding where to send it?  Once you've
parsed the header and determined the routing of the packet, you can start
shoving it out the right pipe. :-)

At least... it would make the most sense to work like that ;-)

Regardless, there is still delay incurred at each hop (hello, digex/BBN
;-) albeit negligible...

	-Taner
--
      D. Taner Halicioglu                     [email protected]
       Network Engineer                     ISI / GlobalCenter