Re: Physical transport media

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Tue Sep 16 18:19:25 1997

At 5:04 PM -0400 9/16/97, Tim Gibson wrote:
>If I may be so bold here Michael, the TTL of steel is significantly less
>than so many other datagrams, many due to R.educed U.seable S.urface
>T.ransparancy.

We think that we have the R.U.S.T problem licked by using stainless steel
BBs and by using a petroleum based liquid transport medium. We need the
mass of steel in the datagrams to protect against backhoe fade. After a few
backhoe operators get torn to shreds by a stream of IP packets from cut
transport pipes, those big yellow machines will show a little more respect
and watch where they stick their big yellow buckets.

Another person pointed out potential problems with rotation of datagrams in
the transport medium but that's the reason why datagrams will be
holographically engraved so that precise positioning won't be needed to
read the datagrams. In order to minimize out of order datagrams the liquid
transport medium will be rotating in a vortex due to rifling on the walls
of the transport tubes. This vortex system of transport in conjunction with
large radius curves, i.e. no sharp turns, in the transport tubes, will
ensure that most datagrams arrive in sequence.

We are currently under negotiations with MERIT for funding to advance this
project and in order to facilitate these negotiations we have decided to
rename this system SRH (Spherical Rotational Holography). We expect that
within 3 years, 25% of Internet traffic will be carried by the use of SRH
technology and our numbers show that starting in mid-1999 the fiber-optic
market will have been consolidated to only three companies as they
desperately attempt to survive the SRH onslaught.

If you know the history of Wiltel's network you may be interested in the
fact that a major Texas company is interested in using our network to
transport gasoline by having us use it as the liquid transport medium. Our
chief engineer rather likes the idea since it would augment our backhoe
protection technology into a combined flamethrower and machine gun. One of
the country's largest Internet backbone providers has also expressed
interest in using the LTM to fuel generators in their colo facilities. All
in all, I'd say things are looking up for SRH technology. We expect to
change the face of the Internet and of the country itself in just a few
years from now.

Michael Dillon                    voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Systems Architect            fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."