Re: not rewriting next-hop, pointing default, ...

  • From: Sean M. Doran
  • Date: Sat Sep 13 17:42:40 1997

Avi Freedman <[email protected]> writes:

> The danger with this approach is, obviously, that the router that you
> try to do this to can go away.  In which case you shoot yourself in the
> foot.  Some day, someone will send me a valid use of 'set ip next-hop'
> but I haven't seen a good one yet.

I believe initially it was dropped into route-maps to deal
with situations involving having three different ASes
share a broadcast LAN in Washington D.C. as an internal
link.

(AS 1239, AS 1790, both sharing a single IGP instance, AS
1800 with a different IGP instance, to be specific.
Running two independent iIS-IS instances on a single wire was fun too.)

FSVO "valid use", but it did make things work.

	Sean.