Re: not rewriting next-hop, pointing default, ...s

  • From: Alex.Bligh
  • Date: Sat Sep 13 13:09:50 1997

> If they buy transit, or do not buy transit from UUNet makes no difference.
> You don't see a problem with pointing default at UUNet or any other
> provider? This trace was to a network that did not exist, so it should not
> have been sent to UUNet.

You are correct. I do not see a problem with people who buy transit pointing
default at those whom they buy transit from. We sell transit, and I'm
happy for customers to do this. There are several reasonably good reasons,
such as (a) they don't want to carry full routing everywhere, and (b)
in the event that tehy run route dampening or similar and for some
reason my route table splurges as does that of their other transit
provider (but in a manner where their announcements
to me remain static), they can still reach the world to some extent
automatically, without frantically having to go around clearing
dampening. Given that the first default free router on the way
will just return !H, and it's on bandwidth the customer is paying
for, I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Alex Bligh
Xara Networks