Re: Definition of transit

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Fri Sep 12 17:10:37 1997

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Bradley Dunn wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Nathan Stratton wrote:
>
> > If they buy transit, or do not buy transit from UUNet makes no difference.
> > You don't see a problem with pointing default at UUNet or any other
> > provider?
>
> Ummm...correct me if I am wrong, but isn't transit usually defined as
> being given explicit permission to send any and all traffic to the party
> from whom transit is being bought? You mean ISP X who buys transit
> from NSP Y can't point default at them? Why not? Isn't that what they are
> paying for?

Ok, say I sell transit, say over a point to point 10 meg ethernet from my
POP to the customer. This customer may also be connected to MAE-East with
say a gigaswitch port. Just because I provide this customer a 10 meg
transit connection does NOT give them the right to point default to me at
MAE-East or any other NAP.

If it was OK for providers to do that, then I have a great new business.
Why not start a www farm and provide hosting for very good prices. We then
buy a T1 into any major NSP and get a gigaswitch connection at MAE-East.
So we are spending around 7K a month for access, now we just point default
to a NSP and we are set. Since you are a web farm, most of your data is
outgoing so for a little money you get a lot of bandwidth.

Am I the only one out there the thinks it is not ethical to point default
to a provider over a NAP without their permission? Just because someone
sells you transit does not give you the right to point default to them at
a NAP. Sure you can point default all day long over the connection you are
buying, but not over a NAP without their permission.

Nathan Stratton                             President, CTO, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303
"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his
great strength.                                        - Psalm 33:16