Re: spam and CIDR blocks

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Thu Sep 11 22:12:42 1997

Jon Lewis boldly claimed:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jeremiah Kristal wrote:
>
> > because of lack of response by the spam sites.  What is going to happen
> > when the spammers find that they are unable to reach 30% of their mailing
> > list because of null0 routes?  The spam sites just renumber into another
>
> Are there still spammers that don't use "innocent" relays to spread their
> junk?  As long as there are reachable relaying servers somewhere on the
> net, the spammers have nothing to worry about.

	Yes.

	freerelay.cyberpromo.com
	freerelay2.cyberpromo.com
	freerelay3.cyberpromo.com

> > network.  Eventually the spam sites, or their upstream provider, will have
> > to request more addresses from Arin, and this is where we might be able to
> > gain another tool to fight spam.
> How many spam houses have their own CIDR blocks?  Not having looked, I'd
> guess few if any.

	Not many.. only the big ones.  If you're going to get into denying
address space to anyone that can justify it, because of their line of work,
you're getting into a very large sticky issue, which is seperate from
spamming, which is ip assingment policy.

	The problem is that any sort of blacklist maintained by more than
one person in their spare time gets into very sticky legal issues, and should
not be touched here on nanog.

--
  ----------------- [email protected] - Nether Network ------------------
		 Don't answer the phone.  Don't open the door.