Re: too many routes

  • From: Justin W. Newton
  • Date: Thu Sep 11 19:53:13 1997

At 09:03 PM 9/10/97 -0400, Sean M. Doran wrote:
>Of course, if bandwidth becomes much cheaper than you had
>bargained for initially, it could be a disadvantage to be
>trapped into using your own company's transmissions
>facilities with a requirement of a decent ROI, so it kinda
>cuts both ways.
>
>	Sean.

Sorry to say "me too", but this is a point that is well worth reading
through twice, especially with todays fiber markets.  With the major build
outs of many alternative long haul fiber companies (Qwest, IXC, etc etc),
it is becoming /very/ unclear that being a facilities based provider offers
you /any/ advantages whatsoever in the realm of price/performance.  I would
argue that just the opposite is true.

Justin W. Newton                        voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Network Architect                  fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
Legislative and Policy Director, ISP/C   http://www.ispc.org
"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."