Re: too many routes

  • From: Jason Vanick
  • Date: Wed Sep 10 11:14:33 1997

> On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Joseph T. Klein wrote:
>
> > The routes issue historically comes down to the fact that Sprint did not
> > want to convert from Cisco 4000 to Ciscos that had larger memory capacity.
> > Memory is cheap these days ... the big boys just don't wish to have a
> > free market.
>
> I do not think sprint had 4000s in their backbone, they had AGS+ routers.
> The problem is not the lack of memory, but that the CPU can not process
> all the date in the memory when it needs to. The cisco 7500 have that
> same prob, sure you can put 256 megs of RAM in them, but can the CPU
> recalculate the next hop if most of that date in that RAM changes?
> The new RSP4 card may have solved that, we may be at a point now where the
> router has enough processor to be able to process all the data it has
> stored in memory and do it quickly.

AGS+'s only could handle 16meg, the cpu in a AGS+ is the same as in a 7000
series, (motorola 68040)  As of a year ago, I believe I heard that sprint
still had AGS+'s in their backbone and were upgrading them to 7000 series
equipment.

-- Jason
Jason Vanick ------------------------------------------ [email protected]
Network Operations Manager                                   V: 312-245-9015
MegsInet, Inc.        225 West Ohio St. Suite #400         Chicago, Il 60610