Stupid Senate Tricks

  • From: Declan McCullagh
  • Date: Fri Sep 05 13:02:14 1997

Some TGIF humor. Last message on crypto from me, I promise! --Declan

**********

http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/opinion/0,1042,1344,00.html

The Netly News Network (http://netlynews.com/)
September 5, 1997

Stupid Senate Tricks
by Declan McCullagh ([email protected])

        What do you get when you mix discussions of high technology and
   the Internet with the weak minds of the aging techno-half-wits in the
   U.S. Congress? Answer: a screwball dialogue that veers haphazardly
   between the idiotic and inane.

        From the infamous father of the Communications Decency Act to the
   California senator who confuses computer mice with real rodents,
   Washington lawmakers rarely have a clue about the technology they try
   to regulate. Now that Congress is back in session, the lawmakers will
   once again be muddling through press conferences and briefings with
   the help of hovering aides. But sometimes they try to make a go of it
   on their own -- and then the results aren't pretty.

[...]

        Encryption, however, remains the topic most likely to transform
   articulate legislators into babbling birdbrains. In July, the House
   International Relations Committee was desperately seeking a metaphor
   to explain the effect of permitting the export of data-scrambling
   software. Then came the moment of bovine intervention: "Do we open the
   doors to let all the cows out?" asked one member. An FBI official
   replied, "There are many, many still left inside the barn." No, said
   Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif), "The cows are tromping all over America. Cows
   can replicate. They're being born all over the world. There's plenty
   of beef available!"

        When Sen. Bob Kerrey (D-Neb.) was asked to define encryption, the
   results were horrific. "Well, I mean, to answer your question, I mean,
   encryption is -- the political equivalent of encryption is you ask me
   a question, I give you an answer and you don't understand it," he
   managed. "I mean, I intentionally garble the answer frequently. I
   intentionally garble the response so that you can't understand what
   I'm saying. And that's -- you notice that I've got the ability to do
   that."

[...]