Re: Anyone Deployed Ascend's GRF IP Switch?

  • From: Damon Hammis
  • Date: Thu Sep 04 23:23:37 1997

> > One big down point on the GRF's imho is that in order to change anything
> > with them you have to run a gdcreconfig, which stops and starts gated,
> > effectively taking down the routing for a period of time, whereas you can
> > add/remove a static route from a cisco and not bring down the routing.
>
> Back the truck up, where did you get this? If I want to change gated.conf
> I need to run gdc reconfig after I am done. This DOES NOT restart gated.
> If you want to restart gatec then do a gdc restart or gdc stop then gdc
> start. I would suggest you work with the GRF and then say what it can or
> cant do. It would be almost impossible to work with a box that would
> restart every time you wanted to change the configs.

I seem to have made a mistake in terms here.  gdcreconfig doesn't
*restart* gated, but it does/did disrupt it when ran before.

I haven't messed with a GRF in about 4 months or so now, so they may have
changed this.  I have had a couple of personal mails as well as mails to
this list that have suggested this.

> > GRF's also take about 5-10 minutes to reboot, which can be annoying.

This was the case when I was at AGIS a few months back.  This again, may
have been fixed.

--Damon
Damon Hammis                    Email:  [email protected]
Network Engineer                URL:    http://www.netrex.com
Netrex, Inc.                    Voice:  248-352-9643
3000 Town Center, Suite 1100    FAX:    248-352-2375
Southfield, MI  48075
	"Hard work is for people short on talent"