Re: Is this just a rumor?

  • From: Paul E. Erkkila
  • Date: Tue Aug 26 21:37:33 1997

There was a discussion of ARIN at ISPCON where Kim H. explained the
   funding policy in great detail to the people present. In this case
the
   $2500/yr is not for each /24 registered but an annual fee paid by the
   ISP to buy service from ARIN (for one year) for their overall address
   allocation. If your total allocation is > /24 and < /19 then you only
pay
   $2500 for that year. If it it over that then you pay for whichever
tier you
   fall into.

	At first glance I thought the policy was somewhat lopsided against an
   an ISP who is at the low end's of each tier. (n^2 per address bit and
all),
   but the proposal clearly states that this is just their initial
guidelines
   and once ARIN is formed it will be the responsibility of the ISP's
who
   make the effort to join ARIN to set policy, including fees, tiers and
   renewal rates.

   Paul Erkkila
   Frontier IOAC