Re: Filters and reality

  • From: David R. Conrad
  • Date: Tue Aug 26 20:04:29 1997

[Apologies for an (almost technical) post from outside NA to NANOG]

Hi,

>Should we continue to poke holes in our filters to let Sprint's customer's
>customer routes through, or should we keep trying to explain to the Sprint
>NOC why their customer's customers could use shorter prefix length
>announcements?

I suppose it depends on what slope you want the graph at
http://www.iepg.org/ops/bgptable.html to have.  Regardless of whether
the filters are a "good idea" or not, they do tend to limit routing
table growth and its implications, if for no other reason than smaller
sites are "encouraged" to go to their providers for address space due
to fear of being filtered.

Regards,
-drc