RE: Trans-Atlantic Traffic

  • From: Simon Leinen
  • Date: Wed Aug 20 09:02:04 1997

According to http://www.switch.ch/switch/lan/stat/linkusa.html , the
average data rates on our transatlantic links over the last year was
around 2260 kbps inbound (eastbound) and 1250 kbps outbound.  The
links have been upgraded from 2 E1s to 4 E1s during that time.

We are one of the smaller European research networks - numbers from
e.g. the German WIN or the Scandinavian NORDUnet will be much higher.

There are many of these small links over the pond.  I'd be interested
in whether (and if so: how) different providers manage to save costs
by sharing fast transcontinental lines among themselves.
--
Simon.