Re: [nsp] known networks for broadcast ping attacks

  • From: Charles Sprickman
  • Date: Tue Aug 12 02:58:35 1997

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:

> This may be true, but what's to stop the writers of smurf and the other
> programs from distributing version 2 with all new network addresses?
> Fixing the 119 networks used to attack FDT will help, but I doubt it will
> solve the problem.

When I type "no ip source route" on a Cisco, what exactly is that doing
for me?  Is it just disallowing the router itself to generate
source-routed packets or is it saying sink all source-routed packets?
All this talk of spoofing is getting me a bit confused.  What exactly is
the difference between source-routing and spoofing?

Just trying to understand a bit more,

Charles

Charles Sprickman 				Internet Channel
INCH System Administration Team			(212)243-5200
[email protected]					[email protected]