Re: Backup Power Schemes

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Mon Aug 11 20:37:24 1997

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, wb8foz wrote:

> Bill McCauley sez:
> > In earthquake country, natural gas is as prone to interruption as any other
> > utility.
>
> True. I had not factored that in. Further, in extreme cold weather,
> propane freezes (really, does not go liquid->gas).

Ya, been there, I had to heat the tank VARY carefully with a blow torch.
There is stuff out there to keep the tank heated, but can lead to
problems.

> But barring the gas utility starting rationing, it is in many
> places a viable option. I know a large ISP here in DC has such,
> or did...

Ya, also been there. They shut my house off during that winter, but hehe I
own a pipe wrench. So now big deal.

Nathan Stratton                             President, CTO, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303
"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his
great strength.                                        - Psalm 33:16