New Equipment - Anybody try'em?

  • From: Douglas Jardine
  • Date: Sun Aug 10 10:36:47 1997

Hi,

Are there Net operators of large corporations or ISPs who have
had a chance to evaluate new network equipment released over the
last year?

I know from previous postings that ISPs have started using the
GRF with reasonable success. Anybody out these using Ipsilons
IP switches? The way I understand these, they have (fast)ethernet
and ATM (at OC-3 rates) ports available and can do RIP and OSPF
making them suitable for Interior Routing. I am not sure if they
support BGP or for that matter if the IP switch concept would scale
(in terns of VCIs needed) to full fledged ISP load.

Also is anybody out there trying to build backbones out of all the
new Gigabit ethernet gear being announced? At first glance, it seems
to me that these layer 2/3 products are capable of Interior routing,
besides switching at mosnstrous speed.

Would greatly appreciate any first hand experience. TIA.

-dj