Re: Backup Power Schemes

  • From: wb8foz
  • Date: Fri Aug 08 23:53:06 1997

Eric Osborne sez:

> OK, let's see if we can turn this thread from BBN-bashing into something
> a bit more constructive.  I've seen several posts in the past few days
> concerning optimal power backup strategies, both short and long term
> (battery, diesel, and/or nuclear).  Anybody out there care to share your
> strategies?

Putting on my EE hat:

	48vdc string, everything running off it is the #1 best
	answer from reliability. Time proven by THE paranoid folks
	in the world, Bell System Practices.

	But the initial expense, space, weight, safety aspects,
	ventilation; all make this unlikely for anything except
	a tariff-funded CO. And it need generators. You can not
	really store many hours of energy in oxides of lead; it
	just costs too much. [Last time I asked, RBOC CO's had
	several hours worth of battery; in theory long enough
	to get a semi-mounted unit there if the local generator
	fails.]

That takes us back to UPSi on equipment, and generators. Technologies
available are:

	Gasoline engine -- used for smallest. Mucho fire code hassles.

	Diesel. The old-line standby. Fuel is much safer to store,
	but needs tending. The block must be kept heated in cold
	climates if you want it to start. All sizes - Cat makes
	'em as big as you want -- I've helped tend a pair of
	600kw units in a third world county....

	Gas Turbine. Not very fuel-efficient, but much less routine
	maint than Diesels. Also smaller.

variations:
	Propane fuel
	Natural Gas

All share the same hassles to some extent or another. They have to
be run, UNDER LOAD, an hour+ per month. They need the oil changed.
They need clean fuel; #2 Diesel tends to grow weird bugs that clog
the filters. The propane and natural gas can feed modified gasoline
piston engines and turbines. Some Diesels run on a fix of #2 and
gases. [The ultimate example -- a sewage plant will recover sewer
gas and use it w/Diesel. If your userbase is full of BS; or your
tie curls and your boss has 2 horns, you might go this route...]
Natural gas has advantages of no storage hassles; propane does
not go stale.

In short, they all need tending. Regularly.

As for installing, there are a million details. Ventilation. Fire
codes. Noise & Neighbors. Floor loading. Power transfer. Load
segregation [what is, and what's NOT, an emergency load...]
Hire an engineering fire with experience in your locale -- this
is not a task for anything less.

--
A host is a host from coast to [email protected]