spam relaying by the big boys

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Fri Aug 08 23:19:59 1997

Just yesterday, UUNet released a statement on it's anti-spam policy, which
included:

UUNET's anti-spamming policy includes:
- limiting the length of email recipient lists;
- blacklisting mail sent from known spamming locations or organizations;
- maintaining a mailbox ([email protected]) which allows victims to report spam
incidents;

Imagine my surprise when I bounced some newly received spam to
[email protected] and received the following response:

<[email protected]>

... while talking to mail.uu.net.:
>>> RCPT To:<[email protected]>
<<< 550 <[email protected]>... User unknown
550 <[email protected]>... User unknown

Oh joy!

 Jon Lewis <[email protected]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |