Re: BBN (GTE) Suffers another major power problem.

  • From: Jonah Yokubaitis
  • Date: Fri Aug 08 23:18:07 1997

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Nathan Stratton wrote:

|On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Matthew White wrote:
|

|> I can't speak for BBN planet, but the power was out in Cambridge for a 2
|> hours.
|> Anybody that can survive 2 hours running huge amounts of equipment must
|> have their own power grid. :)
|>
|> Our little UPSes didn't survive...
|
|Well you don't want to design your power system so that your UPS will keep
|you through the outage. When you get to 250 KVA systems like we use for
|our POPs it is hard to get more then 30 min of uptime. All you want your
|UPS to do is keep you up until the generator gets you up to speed.

Incorrect. Stop using AC equipment in your pops. Use DC equipment and
get a _good_ DC Powerplant. Every carrier Class4/5 switchroom usually
has 10-20,0000 AMP/hours of standby power.  1 DSC or Nortel switch
sucks _quite_ a bit more power than even the largest of superpops.
Every carrier has _at least_ 4hours of battery plant (most have 8-12).
Relying on generators is a _bad_ idea.

Its not hard to have 4-12hours of standby battery plant.
Lucent/Lorain/Peco2 all make rather nice rectifiers, and
C&D/Lucent/GDB all make some nice vented batteries.  By going DC you
also don't get hit with the inefficiencies of AC --> DC --> AC --> DC.

You can bet that MCI/Sprint don't have a piece of AC equipment in
their facilities and most likely are laughing their asses off right
now.

Jonah