Re: Implementing anti-abuse techniques on ISP networks....

  • From: Christopher Masto
  • Date: Wed Aug 06 18:32:51 1997

On Tue, Aug 05, 1997 at 12:30:25PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> The other issue mentioned by Dana is the fact that everyone (esp. the
> "huge players"!) should have already implemented anti-spoofing IP
> filters and should also be preventing dial-up customers from connecting
> to anything but the providers authorised mail gateways on port 25.
> (I still don't know why routers don't default to minimum anti-spoofing
> and private net filtering rules!)

I don't know about the "huge players", but we're an Internet Service
Provider, not an Internet Blockage Provider.  We don't allow spoofing,
and we don't allow relaying, but we're not about to put filters
to prevent dialup customers from connecting wherever they want.
--
= Christopher Masto        = [email protected] = http://www.netmonger.net/  =
= NetMonger Communications = finger for  PGP key = $19.95/mo unlimited access =

v---(cut here)---v
    --
    [email protected]
    "Keep in mind that anything Kibo says makes a great sig."  -- Kibo