Re: [nsp] known networks for broadcast ping attacks

  • From: Systems Engineer
  • Date: Wed Jul 30 17:51:21 1997

Well ever since this but was introduced to the outside world,  I have
since modified my present Firewall (ipfwadm v2.3.0) to accomodate.

type  prot source               destination          ports
deny  icmp 0.0.0.0              0.0.0.255            any
deny  icmp 0.0.0.255            0.0.0.0              any

Depending on the nature of the attack,  that will handle it.  I have
tested it and It has worked on my local machine.

But the best thing to do is if you find no need for a broadcast ICMP
message,  simply filter it at the router.

--
Steven Nash                             ph:  (516)248-8400ext25