Re: [nsp] known networks for broadcast ping attacks

  • From: Michael Shields
  • Date: Wed Jul 30 17:09:55 1997

"Jay R. Ashworth" <[email protected]> writes:
> Ought IP stack implementations not to refuse to reply to ECHO_REQUEST
> packets with destination address which are broadcast addresses?

Apparently some management packages search out hosts using broadcast
pings.  Not the best decision IMO.

This was discussed a couple of days ago on bugtraq and I posted a
Linux patch to cause it not to answer broadcast pings.

*** How do you configure your router for that?  no ip directed-broadcast.
--
Shields, CrossLink.