Re: TLD .ES screw up

  • From: Miguel A. Sanz. RedIRIS/CSIC
  • Date: Wed Jul 30 15:34:32 1997

On Jul 30, 20:52, Paul A Vixie wrote:
> Subject: Re: TLD .ES screw up
> I want to correct a misapprehension.  InterNIC does not make changes to
> the root zone.  The root zone is in the province of the IANA, and only
> IANA can explain why this change was made or get it fixed for you.  NSI
> is just a publication facility for the root zone, they don't edit it.
>-- End of excerpt from Paul A Vixie

I think you're wrong. Last time we had to change .es delegation one and
a half years ago, we had to sent a normal template to [email protected]

But InterNIC also make changes to hosts where domains are delegated which
seem to be the cause of this problem. Someone made a wrong "host template"
request for one of the secondaries of .es (ns.eunet.es) changing its name
and IP address, which had the effect of changing the delegation of the .es
zone.

For what I understand, InterNIC is admiting hosts templates for
domains which are not under .com .org .net, etc. (the TLDs under his
management) and placing glue records for them in the DNS. Am I right?
If this is such, I don't think this is correct. If someone wants a
domain under .com to be delegated in a server under .es they shouldn't
place glue records for this nameserver (the same way we don't place
glue records for nameservers of .es domains delegated into .com NSs).
The only glue records they should have for NSs under .es are the
ones in which the TLD .es is being delegated and those should be admited
only if included in the TLD delegation (or change of delegation) request.

Miguel A. Sanz