Re: TLD .ES screw up

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Wed Jul 30 12:42:04 1997

At 06:01 PM 7/30/97 +0200, Miguel A. Sanz. RedIRIS/CSIC wrote:
>So my questions now:
>
>Does any one know a direct way to reach the InterNIC technical staff to solve
>this kind of urgent problems?

Flaming them on NANOG seems to work, but you get singed in the process
also.  Try  [email protected] He seemed helpful.  From him:

"Hostmaster receives at least 20K pieces of mail a day. If you have an
operational issue of this nature, feel free to send it to [email protected]
The people who are responsible for monitoring the roots also read that box."

Let us know how [un]responsive [email protected] is!

>Shouldn't there be a specific set up of procedures, forms and communication
>channels between the managers of the root zone and the TLD managers?

Apparently they're still drafting those.

>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Miguel A. Sanz
>ES-NIC
>
>__________________           __                    ______________________
>                            /_/
>Miguel A. Sanz       __            __       Email: [email protected]
>RedIRIS/CSIC        /_/  RedIRIS  /_/              Tel:    + 34 1 5855152
>Serrano 142                __                      Fax:    + 34 1 5855146
>E-28006  Madrid           /_/
>SPAIN                                                 Network Manager
>____________ Spanish Academic & Research Network ________________________
>

>--- Forwarded mail from "Miguel A. Sanz. RedIRIS/CSIC"
<[email protected]>

> [...]
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: EMERGENCY TLD .ES
>Cc: [email protected], Mark Kosters <[email protected]>, [email protected]
>

>Dear hostmaster,
>
>I am the technical contact of the top level domain for Spain (".es").
>
>Much to our surprise we discover yesterday that a new unauthorized NS was
>popping up in everybody's caches for the ".es" zone.
>
>At first we thought that a cache infection attack (the kind of Alternic's
>against InterNIC) was taking place and spread the word that everybody in
>the country upgrade to the recent versions of BIND.
>
>However, some places running BIND-4.9.6 and 8.1.1 were also infected!!!
>
>We the went to check InterNIC's database and ... the problem is there!!!
>
>InterNIC has made a change in the delegation of the ".es" zone without
>our request, knowledge or consent. Instead of the authorized nameservers
>which are:
>
>   SUN.REDIRIS.ES		130.206.1.2
>   CHICO.REDIRIS.ES		130.206.1.3
>   PRADES.CESCA.ES		192.94.163.152
>   NS.EUNET.ES			193.127.1.11
>   SUNIC.SUNET.SE		192.36.125.2 192.36.148.18
>   NS.EU.NET			192.16.202.11
>   RS0.INTERNIC.NET		198.41.0.5
>   NS.UU.NET			137.39.1.3
>   MUNNARI.OZ.AU		128.250.1.21 128.250.22.2
>
>You have now:
>
>   SUN.REDIRIS.ES		130.206.1.2
>   CHICO.REDIRIS.ES		130.206.1.3
>   PRADES.CESCA.ES		192.94.163.152
>   LINUX2.DYCSA.ES		195.53.97.1
>   SUNIC.SUNET.SE		192.36.125.2 192.36.148.18
>   NS.EU.NET			192.16.202.11
>   RS0.INTERNIC.NET		198.41.0.5
>   NS.UU.NET			137.39.1.3
>
>For unkown reasons an unauthorized change has been made to the root
>zone and the InterNIC database. You have placed a bogus NS
>LINUX2.DYCSA.ES instead of the legal one: NS.EUNET.ES !!!
>
>Please CORRECT this as soon as possible and restart the root server.
>
>We would also like that you open an investigation about this case
>to know if this has been caused by some InterNIC's internal error
>or by an intentional ill will request made by someone.
>
>Please keep as inform about your actions to correct this error and
>of the results of your internal investigation.
>
>Regards,
>
>Miguel A. Sanz (MAS122)
>ES-NIC
>
>__________________           __                    ______________________
>                            /_/
>Miguel A. Sanz       __            __       Email: [email protected]
>RedIRIS/CSIC        /_/  RedIRIS  /_/              Tel:    + 34 1 5855152
>Serrano 142                __                      Fax:    + 34 1 5855146
>E-28006  Madrid           /_/
>SPAIN                                                 Network Manager
>____________ Spanish Academic & Research Network ________________________
>

>---End of forwarded mail from "Miguel A. Sanz. RedIRIS/CSIC"
><[email protected]>
>

>---End of forwarded mail from "Miguel A. Sanz. RedIRIS/CSIC"

====
Eric Germann				Computer and Communications Technologies
[email protected]			Van Wert, OH 45891
					Phone:	419 968 2640
http://www.cctec.com			Fax:	419 968 2641

Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services
A Microsoft Solution Provider