Re: ANS etc.

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Wed Jul 30 11:57:21 1997

On Wed, Jul 30, 1997 at 08:38:03AM -0800, Douglas Jardine wrote:
> First, thanks for the replies.

No problem.  Although apparently I was wrong on point 3.  :-)

> >> [4] Some recent threads on NANOG discussed physical layer issues like
> >>     SONET, SDH, circuit layout etc. Could somebody point me to
> >> technical papers / articles / books which describe fiber and
> >> copper technology in detail.

and saith I:
> >Ask in comp.dcom.telecom.tech.

> Judging from the answers to this question, I gather I didn't phrase
> the question correctly. What I am looking for some is practical
> literature on fiber and copper technology - stuff which network
> operators and designers need and use. I would have guessed there
> would be an equivalent to say what the Stevens Books are to TCP/IP.

Sorry, misunderstood.

Hmmmm... Layer 1?  Physical?  Not sure.  The layer 2 stuff is covered
to some detail in _Digital_Telephony_, which alas, I can't give a cite
for right now, as it's at home.  Mail me privately, and I'll be glad
to.

Also, the readers of that NG are likely to have other references to
hand; many work for IXC's, LEC's and switch mfr's.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology