Re: Tracking cracker, help?

  • From: Joe Shaw
  • Date: Tue Jul 29 10:23:14 1997

The sad thing is, until you have a court order, the other ISP isn't
necessairly obligated to help you.  There is no law stating that they
have to turn logs over to you.  It's usually up to the other admins, but
every time I've had this problem, we've gotten really good responses from
the offenders provider.

I don't know who you spoke with, but you might try going to an owner if
you only spoke to an admin.  Owners tend to take attacks coming from their
sites a lot more seriously than admins do, and would probably be a much
better point of contact.  I'm sure given the fact that your business is
severely effected by these attacks and that it would be greatly
appreciated if he'd/they'd help you out before the story broke the news
(what hurts a business more than bad publicity?) and you'd really like him
to cooperate fully.  After niceness hasn't worked, you could always
threaten with a civil suit of some kind...

Just remember to be nice before you start playing hardball.

Regards,
Joe Shaw - [email protected]
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services
"Learn more, and you will never starve." - Paraphrase of Lee