DNS

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Fri Jul 25 09:34:29 1997

> I am not a techie :-)) but it seems to me that the real
> power re DNS lies not with adhoc committees but
> with the ISPs. If we collectively choose to point our
> DNS at other than Internic then new domains will exist
> without ad-hoc committees, government interference
> etc. Obviously there is concern about some of the current
> attempts to provide DNS not being really answerable to
> the ISP community and hence their lack of success.

> What do you think? Action by NANOG members to get out
> of the current poor situation rather than leaving it
> to fate?

What do I think?  I think Paul Ferguson, et al, are going to flame you
unmercifully for bringing up "DNS politics" on their precious
"operations" list.  Of course, I also think you're _right_.

Maybe not limited to ISPs, but they're certainly a large part of the
audience.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology