Re: Non-ISP companies multi-homing?

  • From: Gordon Mercer
  • Date: Thu Jul 24 16:17:59 1997

> >Supposing to have IBGP to one ISP (to avoid assigning of
> >independent AS) and EBGP to the second ISP, again will
> >my router announce the /24 inside of the first ISP
> >address block to the EBGP peer ??
>
> Interesting approach. In general, the ISPs I know would
> be reluctant to run iBGP with a customer, unless they had
> total control of all BGP speakers. If I understand you
> correctly, the enterprise would have to tag its
> advertisements to the second ISP with the ASN of the
> first, since the enterprise doesn't have its own. Again,
> I think most ISPs would be reluctant to give up this
> amount of control.

Without the ISP having total control over the customer
router, a misconfiguration of filters on the customer side
could easily cause the customer to be a valid (and 1 hop)
path in the tables from ISP A to ISP B. Doesn't sound
like a possibility I would be willing to have hanging over
my head.

---

-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>--
Gordon Mercer  -=<Dedicated>=-
	       [digitalNATION]
703 642 2800    -=<Servers>=-	[email protected]