Mr. Ferguson, et.al.'s problems with the list.

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Tue Jul 22 23:22:31 1997

On Tue, Jul 22, 1997 at 08:48:47PM -0400, Craig La Vallee wrote:
> Paul Ferguson wrote:
> > NANOG list maintainers:
> > Please consider this a formal request to moderate this list.
> > The signal/noise ratio is horrible as it is, and continuing
> > to ignore off-topic posts, such as the thread on DNS policy,
> > is compounding the issue.
> > I would appreciate a response on this issue asap.
> > Otherwise, I would fully expect to see an exodus of list
> > participants who can no longer tolerate noise.
> >
> > At 07:40 PM 07/22/97 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > >Perhaps the thread has drifted off topic.  But get off your goddamned
> > >high horse and save us the snotty rejoinders, all right?
> > >

> Thank you for the intervention Paul.

Gentlemen:

I didn't start the thread everyone is complaining about.  But, in
absence of a formal announcement of what is and is not on-topic on this
mailing list, _which I still haven't seen, after 4 explicit requests_,
I completely agree: a solution needs to be found.

The high-handedness with which the conversations have been handled of
late is, however not conducive to finding a solution, and will
ultimately cause those with valid topics to discus-- including the
opertaional aspects of DNS spoofing, and how to avoid it... _and_ how
to fix it, which is surely an operational topic, and is not a
conversation with a short term focus by nature--to decide that the
NANOG mailing list is a useless old-boy network, and replace it with
something that suits the needs of those individuals.

If you don't like the signal to noise ratio, by all means:

DEFINE SIGNAL.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth       High Technology Systems Consulting              Ashworth
Designer            Linux: Where Do You Want To Fly Today?        & Associates