Re: Terminating many T1's

  • From: Ben Kirkpatrick, ELI
  • Date: Tue Jul 22 20:39:06 1997

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Stephen Balbach wrote:
> 1. Cisco serial ports and rack CSU/DSU's. Exspensive. Lot of space.
Cisco has a channelized DS3 card.  Wire once to dacs and provision in
software only.

> 2. MAX TNT for T1's connecting to a backbone Cisco. Theoretically up to 140
>    T1's in 1 small box with built-in CSU/DSU's. Unproven?
>
> 3. Cascade. Similair to TNT approach, very exspensive untill you reach
>    70+ T1's in a chassis.
Cascade has a channelized DS3 card as well.  Good for combining many
customers who have a physical T1.  Split out at the dacs.

> 4. Chanellized DS3. Don't know anything about it - can MFS provide circuits
>    this way via a DS3 handoff? No CSU/DSU required? Any other costs/issues?
Channelized DS3 stuff only seems to be useful for putting mulitple
customers on a single physical circuit.  You need to be able to break it
out to the DS1 level for each customer.  Perhaps MFS, PacBell, etc can do
this?  It's probably just a matter of them defining that "product".
(I.E. Feed MFS a DS3 and they give a T1 to each of your customers.)

--Ben Kirkpatrick
Data Products, Electric Lightwave, NOC= 800.622.4354
-not speaking for ELI, not even speaking-
"Consciousness: that annoying time between naps."