Re: Quote from Kashpureff / Re: question about per. hack

  • From: Christopher Masto
  • Date: Tue Jul 22 17:26:24 1997

On Tue, Jul 22, 1997 at 04:40:31PM -0400, Jesse M. Caulfield wrote:
> > taking money for an essential service and trying to make a profit, is
> > PURE EVIL and goes against everything that I belive "the net" should be.
>
> Sure! Money, of course, is the root of all evil. I'm sure the Soviets
> could'a / would'a had a great, state run name service. You could get your
> domain registered while you wait in line for bread and toilet paper. Too
> bad that system failed!
>
> NSI does a good job at what they do, and 50 bucks a year really isn't
> much to whine about.

I think most of us on this list are capitalists.  The whole
NSI/InterNIC situation is extremely weird.  The real question is
whence comes their authority.  Particularly after their contract runs
out.  I don't think they should have been forced to operate at a loss,
sans government funding.  But the fees they chose are rather
arbitrary, and 98 million dollars is a lot of money to operate a
database.
--
= Christopher Masto        = [email protected] = http://www.netmonger.net/  =
= NetMonger Communications = finger for  PGP key = $19.95/mo unlimited access =

v---(cut here)---v
    --
    [email protected]
    "Keep in mind that anything Kibo says makes a great sig."  -- Kibo