Re: Quote from Kashpureff / Re: question about per. hack

  • From: Aaron Abelard
  • Date: Tue Jul 22 16:48:11 1997

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Mathias K. wrote:

> The centralized nature of the system is a real drag,
> and I'm hoping that some genius out there is working on the next generation
> that will allow anyone to associate their ip address with anything they
> want.  I believe that the capitalist aspect of what the internic is doing;
> taking money for an essential service and trying to make a profit, is PURE
> EVIL and goes against everything that I belive "the net" should be.  So
> although I don't particularly like they way that Kashpureff is staging his
> rebellion, I do believe in his cause.

I'm sick of paying the NIC to, and in reality I think Kashpureff's hack is
pretty elegant.  However, I disagree that capitalism is /pure evil/.  Once
upon a time the net was driven by research and academia, but that day has
passed.  The net as it stands now is in poor shape, and a with the latest
intense round of backhoe attacks and DNS problems the enormous amount of
capital invested in the internet will have to be protected.  This is when
those capitalist companies will finally start to hash out technologies
that make the internet more redundandt.  The problem and, I
believe, the solution lies with the root name servers.  Until people
accept and use more than the current InterNIC root server we won't be able
to announce any more domain name strategies.

 Aaron Abelard / [email protected] / http://www.abelard.com/
     "Nunc Lento Sunito Dicunt, Moreris" (Donne)
         "Lasciate tutto speranza, voiche entrate" (Dante)
             "kinda like a cloud i was up way up in the sky" (NIN)
                 "Once more unto the breech, dear friend" (Shakespeare)