Re: is there a market for this?

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Tue Jul 22 15:48:44 1997

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Tim Gibson wrote:

> Funny that you would say how great PC based routers are and then in the
> next paragraph state that you've had to move away from them to the GRF.
> The GRF is a PC based router (P-166 running BSDI and an optimized GATEd).
> The GRF's strength is not it's routing, it's still a PC router, it's
> strength comes from combining a good switch, alot of buffer space, and
> the use of an route engine that is familar. It will be very interesting
> to see a production Cisco 12000 to compare performance on PC vs dedicated
> when an IP switch is in use.

Sorta, the GRF has a embedded P166 with 256 Megs of RAM. The GRF uses the
P166 for routing, it dumps a routing table on each card. The cards then
switch port to port without touching the P166. We have a few old
Gigarouters, and they have a external P133 connected to them. You can pull
the connection from the P133 (RMS) and the Gigarouters, and it will still
switch packets.

With our old PC routers, all packets were switched over the CPU, the cards
could not switch port to port and did not have cool things to speed it up
like hardware assisted route lookups. They GRF is not a PC router, it is a
IP switch that has a internal P166 for routing. The switch can function
without the P166.

Nathan Stratton                                President, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303
"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his
great strength.                                        - Psalm 33:16