RE: is there a market for this?

  • From: Dorian R. Kim
  • Date: Mon Jul 21 21:18:24 1997

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Jacques Vidrine wrote:

> FWIW, I can't confirm this at this second, but I believe that at least
> the cisco 7200 series routers have a three PCI bus backplane.  And it is
> claimed to support an OC-3c VIP2 port adapter, although I haven't put
> mine in action to try yet (and when I do I won't be running anywhere
> near 155 Mbps anyway).   A single VIP2 port adapter can only connect to
> one of the three buses, so presumably cisco believes that PCI is up to
> the task.    I don't know what the clockrate is, and I don't know if it
> is 32-bit or 64-bit.

I'm pretty sure the 7200's bridged 3 PCI buses are the fast PCI bus, clocking
at 533 MBps, but just because they come out with an interface for a box
doesn't meant that that box can realistically support it. It's not unheard of
for vendors to come out with a box that you can over subscribe. 7200's max
throughput is about 3-4 DS3s..

Also, 7200s don't have VIP2s. 7200 is basically a VIP2 in a chassis.

-dorian