Re: is there a market for this?

  • From: Chris Wilson
  • Date: Mon Jul 21 19:45:38 1997

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> PCI is 33mhz at 32bits = about a gigabit per second. Fast PCI is
> 66mhz, and a fast 64bit PCI standard is coming, which yields 4Gbps
> across the bus. Now, admittedly, you can't get that fully -- but if
> you claim you can't get a mere 45mbps across the bus per second you
> are doing something desperately wrong and stupid, like making the main
> CPU deal with *way* too much of the work. Of course, most serial
> communications companies ARE doing things desperately wrong and
> stupid, but that another story...

I'm not sure how the person who was discussing it on the other list was
doing it.. maybe they were talking about ISA ;) In any case, I'd be pretty
fearful of running OC-level bandwidth over a PC... "Gee, the corporate
network went down because the router's hard drive crashed!"

Chris

Chris Wilson (CW40)                           | http://www.atlantic.net
Internet Connect Company                      | Dial-up access * Web hosting
Sales: 800-422-2936 Support: 800-921-9328     | Leased lines * News services