Re: is there a market for this?

  • From: Chris Wilson
  • Date: Mon Jul 21 18:19:05 1997

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I have a friend who's in the high speed optoelectronics biz and
> already does lots of OC-[N] equipment, and I mentioned to him that I
> thought that there was probably a market for PCI cards that spoke IP
> over OC-3/OC-12. Before I strongly encourage him to do this, I was
> curious as to whether anyone else felt there was a real market for
> such things.

I was (somewhat) following a dicussion about high speed communications
handled over the PCI bus, and there's a company that makes T1/T3-level
serial cards for PC's, and from what they were saying, there's no way to
reach even a full T3 worth of bandwidth on a PCI bus, so I think trying to
push an OC-# connection over it might be pushing it a bit ;)

Chris

Chris Wilson (CW40)                           | http://www.atlantic.net
Internet Connect Company                      | Dial-up access * Web hosting
Sales: 800-422-2936 Support: 800-921-9328     | Leased lines * News services