UK Web Press coverage of the NSI root outage

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Mon Jul 21 14:12:59 1997

The text of a website article pointed out to the list last week was:
> > >     A series of major systems failures in the week ending July 18 have
> > >     called Internet security and robustness into question. Problems
> > >     started over the weekend of July 12 and 13 when a hacker is
> > >     believed to have penetrated the Internet's root nameserver, causing
> > >     severe disruption of the entire Domain Name system. E.mail messages
> > >     to .com and .net and attempts to access .com and .net sites
> > >     received 'unresolvable address' or 'host unreachable' responses.

I wrote these folks a note, sufficiently vitriolic that I'm almost
embarrased to include it here, pointing out that perhaps that article
could have used a _bit_ more research... and got this reply:

On Mon, Jul 21, 1997 at 10:26:38AM +0000, MMP wrote:
> When an editor returns from vacation, there's always one major error
> to deal with. I guess the InterNIC news item is my problem. I have
> spoken with the responsible news writer and will be removing the
> item from our server.

<chuckle>

> Quality journalism is so often enhanced by quality readership

Nicely done.  I'm carboning your response to the NANOG mailing list,
where the original pointer was raised.

> Thanks for your letter

No problem.

> Andrew Craig
> Editor
> --
> Andrew Craig               Phone: +44 (0)1273 380040
> Editor                       Fax: +44 (0)1273 380043
> Internet IT Informer       Email: [email protected]
> http://www.mmp.co.uk/mmp

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology