silly tiers; treno

  • From: Allan Chong
  • Date: Fri Jul 18 19:51:13 1997

Only time I've heard mention from ISPs about tiers is usually
from some small ISP claiming that they are a "tier 1" provider
because they own some piece of equipment at a NAP.

Someone named Winstar called up one of my clients trying to get them
to switch from AT&T to Winstar because "winstar is a tier 1 and
AT&T Worldnet is only a tier 2 provider".

This whole thing reminds me of the useless "bandwidth to net"
stat
that is listed so prominently in Boardwatch.   BTW:  Has anyone
used a program called treno to measure bandwidth availability on
the Net from different points?

--
Allan Chong		[email protected]

I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I
ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire.    No, I didn't.
Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human
emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when
you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion
is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his
stupid puppet.
        -- Jack Handey