Re: Outages in the News

  • From: Russ Haynal
  • Date: Fri Jul 18 17:20:40 1997

At 02:41 PM 7/18/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Washington D.C.?
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/fp_front.htm
>
>And this one's not from AP or Reuters.

The Front Page Washington Post Articles leads with...

"Traffic on much of the Internet ground to a halt early yesterday
after a pair of human errors, an unprecedented glitch at the
Herndon company that maintains the Internet's address registry
and the accidental severing near Laurel of an important data
line.

For much of the day, World Wide Web sites all over the
United States were inaccessible.... "

Yet, when I look at traffic statistics for MAE-East...
http://www.mfsdatanet.com/MAE/east.giga.overlay.html

I notice only a SLIGHT reduction in Thursday's traffic when compared to the
other days this week (maybe 10% reduction for a couple hours)

I don't know if I would label that as "Ground to a halt"

It's a shame the media insists on exagerating the facts to give the
impression of "news"

Russ
      Russ Haynal - Internet Consultant, Instructor, Speaker
  "Helping organizations gain the most benefit from the Internet"
[email protected]     http://navigators.com     703-729-1757
Author:"Internet; A Knowledge Odyssey" (Top-rated CD-ROM Tutorial)
      Available from MindQ Publishing: http://www.mindq.com