Re: DC fiber cut: field report

  • From: Adrian J Bool
  • Date: Fri Jul 18 16:08:58 1997

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Owen DeLong wrote:

> The thing that doesn't make sense to me in all of this is that SONET
> is supposed to be built as RINGS.  With a Service side and a Protect side
> to each switch.  BIFF should, in theory, only take out one or the other,
> but not both.  WHY, with what we pay these carriers every month, do they
> not divergent-path route these critical wide-area links so that this isn't
> fatal?

I suppose because you account for about 0.0001% of their total revenue.
Hey, youre lucky for our accountabilty you could shove a few extra naughts
in the middle ;-(

At the end of the day, are you going to cancel all your circuits with
them?  I doubt it - I have been tempted with certian telcos but the cost
and hassle, all *after* the downtime has occured ain't always worth it.  I
bet the telcos are betting on that.

Regards & Good luck with your diveristy!

aid