Re: tiers? (fwd)

  • From: DAVE NORDLUND
  • Date: Fri Jul 18 13:08:08 1997

> Date:          Thu, 17 Jul 1997 18:09:13 +0000
> From:          Danny <[email protected]>
> Subject:       Re: tiers? (fwd)
> To:            [email protected]

> Does everyone agree with this, it's the only response I have received
> thus far (and according to the list, the sender works for a tier 1 provider).
>
> [snip]
>
> Tier 1: _Owns the fiber_, Multiple coast to coast paths of significant bandwidth
  May not use fiber for IP?  May just lease it to others??

> Tier 2: Reseller, Major connections (DS3/OC3) to multiple tier 1 providers.
> 	Possibly: Major connections to one (1) tier 1 provider.
Is this an NSP?

> Tier 3: Everybody else.
It seems that there are many levels here.  National, Regional, State, local,
etc.

> > Anyone care to take a stab at what places a provider in
> > a given "tier-group"?  Seems to me as though the large(st)
> > providers are a bit harsher (naturally) than the smaller
> > providers.

Dave Nordlund               [email protected]
University of Kansas        913/864-0450
Computing Services          FAX 913/864-0485
Lawrence, KS  66045         KANREN