Re: tiers? (fwd)

  • From: Matthew James Gering
  • Date: Fri Jul 18 02:55:14 1997

> Somehow I don't think the Tier 1 "definition" will ever be defined and
agreed
> upon.  Marketing depts. throughout the industry have used it and all come
> up with their own definition to suit their network

No kidding. I once encountered a hole-in-the-wall provider in Seattle that
claimed to be "Tier 1." When I disagreed he had the gall to tell me that he
was an Internet guru and had originally coined the term "Tier X." So much
for truth in marketing.

Unless a user is trying to do cross-country VPN, a good regional
multi-homed provider has the best performance, quality and service IMHO.

	Matt