BIND & root servers

  • From: Jordan Mendelson
  • Date: Thu Jul 17 12:39:34 1997

With the root servers blowing up, someone down here told me that our BIND
8.1 server was looking up less names than other servers. Of course I
denied it, but he coaxed me into running a few tests.

I tested 3 servers, a BIND 8.1 server, a BIND 4.9.5 p1 server, a BIND
4.9.5 server, and a BIND 4.9.3 server.

I tested a total of 100 uncached domains.

16% of the domains couldn't be looked up by the BIND 4.9.3 server
16% of the domains couldn't be looked up by the BIND 4.9.5p1 server
17% of the domains couldn't be looked up by the BIND 4.9.5 server
26% of the domains couldn't be looked up by the BIND 8.1 server

All queries were sent to all the nameservers at the same time. I'm not
sure if this is by chance, but it seems that BIND 8.1 isn't doing as good
a job as the older 4.9.x servers.

Can anyone confirm this?

Jordan

--