RE: BOOM! there goes WorldCom

  • From: Rusty H. Hodge
  • Date: Wed Jul 16 22:16:15 1997

At 5:05 PM -0700 7/16/97, Chris Fairbanks wrote:

> Doesn't Sprint stand for Southern Pacific Railroad INTernational?

Sprint was born when Southern Pacific spun off SP Communications, aka SPC,
(I believe to GTE). The name was then changed to Sprint. I don't think SPC
had any fiber back then - i remember the voice circuits were very noisy.

But you're pretty correct, SPC was using railroad right-of-way for
communications signalling - originally for SP's internal voice/data
network, and then began selling excess capacity.

--
Rusty Hodge <[email protected]>, San Francisco