Re: MAE West

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Mon Jul 14 15:26:20 1997

On Mon, Jul 14, 1997 at 11:48:31AM -0700, Stephen Stuart wrote:
> > For example, (and yes, I know there's a world of difference) a MLPPP
> > link is at (effectively) layer 2 (if not 1.5), and if one side of the
> > link drops, the other side will carry what it can.
>
> That is what happens within an aggregate. The multi-link PPP channel
> corresponds to an "aggregate" in the terminology that I am using.

Ok.  Got that.

> The topic being discussed is not what happens within an aggregate, but
> what happens when two aggregates are using. This would be akin to
> having two multi-link PPP connections (each constructed out of some
> number of physical links).

Ok, then a fair description of the problem is that "circuits cannot be
aggregated across multiple switch chassis".  And that's not, in and of
itself, bad component design.

However, it pretty apparently limits the ability to make the best use
of your circuits in your system design...

or Mae West wouldn't have taken last Friday morning off.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology