Re: NSPs and filters (fwd)

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Mon Jul 14 12:34:54 1997
On 14 Jul 1997, Sean M. Doran wrote:

> Jon Lewis <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Unless I'm mistaken, forged UDP requires root access and (at the volume we
> > received) was likely from a host with T1 or better
> > connection to the net.
>
> You just described nearly every PeeCee at nearly every
> higher educational institution in North America and
> northern Europe, and several parts of Asia, too.

True.  Someone else already pointed that out, but mentioned that at their
institution, many of the points on the network where students have access
to PC's are filtered to prevent such abuse.

The typical university campus is likely subnetted and littered with
routers more than capable of filtering for their subnet of campus.

 Jon Lewis <[email protected]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |
________Finger [email protected] for PGP public key_______