Re: NSPs and filters

  • From: Dorian R. Kim
  • Date: Sun Jul 13 16:37:41 1997

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Vadim Antonov wrote:

> randy> So, at POP X, I take in maybe 100 prefixes, with maybe 1000
> randy> at some POPs.  How do I build and maintain that filter list,
>
> [email protected] (Alan Hannan) wrote:
>
> >  The same way you build and maintain routing filter lists for the
> >  prefixes you take in.
>
> Bzzt. Routing filter lists are applied to routing updates.  Packet
> filter lists are applied to packets.
>
> Big difference.
>
> 1000-entry packet filter will slow any existing router down to crawl,
> and practically all future boxes won't do any better.

Vadim, I think Alan was talking about the mechanics of building such a list,
not deploying them in particular.

Given the information required to effectively filter cutomer routes, I'd
suggest that one has enough information to create a packet filter list based
on them. It's just matter of "simple" database work and automation. ;)

-dorian