Re: Domain Name NASA.COM

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Sat Jul 12 09:23:05 1997

> RFC_Violation: You saw it here first!
> From: [email protected] (Jamie Rishaw)
> I've been a longstanding cheerleader for the NIC, but

That was your first mistake.  Although what can one expect from someone
who brags about violating RFCs?

> Today, without notice, the InterNIC turned "off" the domain name NASA.COM,
> a domain which had been registered now for over two years.

May I suggest that your customer sue, not the FTC or NASA, but the
Internic for violation of the contract.  You paid a fee, they are
required to follow their own procedures.  You should be able to get
quite a bit for actual and punitive damages.

And you would be doing all the rest of us a service, by setting a
precedent.  We really cannot have Internic becoming an extension of the
US government, or making arbitrary actions.  But enforcement of
contracts generally requires a court.

As far as I can see, you wouldn't even have to prove that NASA.COM was
"in a manner reasonably calculated to convey the impression".  That
would be up to NASA and/or FTC, should Internic get them to come to the
court (third party cross complaint, perhaps).

Although, for curiousities sake, what did this NASA stand for, and what
was their product?

[email protected]
[email protected]