NSPs and filters

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Fri Jul 11 21:57:36 1997

Why is it that the NSPs I've encountered refuse to do any sort of sanity
filtering on their customer connections?  i.e. If UUNet knows that FDT has
only 205.229.48/20 and 208.215.0/20, why should they let me send traffic
through their network with random source addresses?

FDT has been the target of forged source address UDP attacks for the past
2 days.  It's all being stopped at our router that takes our UUNet T1, but
the extra T1 traffic is causing UUNet's usually unreliable network to be
even less reliable, and we've lost connectivity to UUNet several times
this evening.

PUNet suppost says there's nothing they can do, and that I should talk to
their security people about buying a firewall for FDT on monday...like a
firewall on our side of the T1 is going to do us a lot of good....

 Jon Lewis <[email protected]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |
________Finger [email protected] for PGP public key_______